28 July 2021
Lodges and Masonic Centres re-open across Victoria
Lodges and Masonic Centres across Victoria are set to re-open effective immediately (Wednesday 28 July), subject to Government rules and other strict requirements.
The decision has been made by the Masonic Governing Council, after taking the advice of the Freemasons Future Recovery Team, which includes a number of health professionals.
The rules are to include:
- A density rule of 1 per 4sqm.
- Generally, a maximum number of 100 may attend indoors at large community centres, only if density rules allow. However, many Lodge Rooms, for example, may only accommodate a maximum of 25-40 people under the current rules. Please abide by the maximum numbers for your specific location.
- The number of members allowable in the Lodge Room are the only members allowable in the South. Only those who attend the Lodge Room can attend the South. The maximum group numbers (such as the number of people per table in the South) is 10.
- For the time being, only specifically invited visitors may attend Lodge meetings.
- Compulsory use of QR Codes.
- Masks are mandatory indoors and outdoors, except when seated in the South, and only when eating and drinking.
- Use of hand sanitiser.
- A COVID Marshall to be appointed for each Lodge meeting.
- Strict adoption of COVID-Safe practices.
- No Raising ceremonies, or full closing rituals, are allowed until further notice.
Installations proceeding in the first half of August will use the COVID-Safe abridged version.
Tenants/hirers are also subject to the requirements of COVID-Safe Plans, circulated previously to all Masonic Centre managements. It is essential that COVID-Safe plans are in place at all Masonic Centres, and that COVID Marshalls are appointed for all Lodge meetings. Click here for more on COVID-Safe plans.
It is apparent that some Lodges and Masonic Centres have not been complying with the rules, and that this has come under the view of regulators. Freemasons are community leaders. It is essential that we abide by all rules at all times. We always have the health and wellbeing of our members as our priority.
As always, the Grand Secretariat team sends its best ‘COVID-safe' wishes to all members and their families across Victoria.
RWBro. Garry Runge OAM JP