Contact the Lodge
- Address: 25-27 Regent Street Belmont VIC
- Contact: WBro. Graham Berry, GPurs
- ph: 0419 403 651
- e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lodge Number: 5
- Meeting – 2nd Thursday of the month at 7:30pm
- Rehearsal – Thursdays
- Installation – June
About The Lodge
On the 25 July 1846 the Geelong Advertiser published – “The calling of a meeting of Freemasons to consider forming here in Geelong, a Masonic Lodge.”
A subsequent publication of the same paper on 18th Feb 1848 reported – “Shipping News – Masonic – The Warrant for opening the Geelong Lodge has, we have heard, reached the Colony by the “Lady Peel”. Immediate measures will be adopted for taking advantage of the privileges conferred by the Warrant”.
On the 26 October 1848 the first meeting of the Geelong Lodge of Unity and Prudence (No: 801 EC) was held at the Royal Hotel.
The Lodge, now No: 5 under the United Grand Lodge of Victoria, has been extremely active since that first meeting. 2013 sees the lodge celebrate its 165th anniversary.
U&P has a very active membership of young Master Masons. This has seen the lodge prosper in recent years with it now having a membership of some 60+ active members of varying ages, occupations and faiths.
The Lodge Volume was presented to the Lodge by the foundation Junior Warden, Abraham Levy. This wonderful volume was published on the 8 November 1794. In 2014 the Volume will celebrate its 220th year. Every candidate that has been initiated, passed and raised in the lodge, with the notable exception of 2, have taken their obligations on this Volume. The two who have not done so are our recent members who have taken their obligations on their sacred volume, being the Koran.
Some notable past members of the lodge are:
William Haines – Last Colonial Secretary of the Colony of Victoria and the First Premier of the State of Victoria.
Charles Brownlow – Name sake of the AFL Best and Fairest – The Brownlow Medal.
James Harrison – First Publisher of the Geelong Advertiser, Inventor, Politician.
Thomas Austin – In 1859 imported ten pairs of rabbits which he released on his property Barwon Park.