Contact the Lodge
- Address: 318-322 Stephensons Rd Mt Waverley VIC
- Contact: WBro. Ian McCormick, PM
- ph: 03 9801 6730
- e: email@example.com
- Lodge Number: 312
- Meeting – 1st Monday of the month at 7:30pm (January no meeting)
- Rehearsal – 4th Monday of the previous month
- Installation – November
- Supper charge: Dining fee applies except for Masters on the road (there may be a raffle)
About The Lodge
The first meetings were held at the Freemasons Hall in Surry Hills from 9 December 1922 until 12 April 1926. From 8 May 1926 to 3 December 2001 Lodge members met at the Camberwell Masonic Centre.
Members now meet at the Waverley Masonic Centre, and celebrated their 1000th meeting on 10 August 2004.
The Canterbury Lodge has been a large contributor to the Royal Freemasons Homes over the years and also supports a variety of Monash Gully charities including:
– Interchange Outer East
– SES, Waverley
– Oakleigh Centre
– Arthur Preston Residential Services
– Best Choice, Ferntree Gully Road Waverley
Canterbury Lodge received provisional accreditation at the September 2012 Quarterly Communication.
Canterbury Lodge is aligned with the Cathedral in England.
Famous members from this Lodge include:
– William John Rawnsley, a mechanical engineer who was initiated into Canterbury Lodge on 15 March 1950 aged 37. He was one of the three designers for General Motors Holden working on the FX Holden.
To encourage Freemasons who have common private interests, the Lodge By-Laws were amended to allow Freemasons who were already members under the United Grand Lodge of Victoria to join as joining members at a minimal cost of about $50.00 per year. The Huntingdale Golf Club was the original target which resulted in four joining members and four candidates. The By-Law is still current and new members are welcome to join under this By-Law.
The average age of members at the Canterbury Lodge is 62.7 years, and currently has 75 members.
Canterbury Lodge has a connection with Malaysian Freemasonry, in particularly Canterbury Lodge sponsored the consecration of SEAVIC Lodge No. 8.
Members enjoy an annual visit to Koo Wee Rup Lodge No. 323 (in February) and St Andrews in the South No. 149 (in September) each year.
The Canterbury Lodge is often involved in theatre nights usually at the Encore Theatre Company, annual Yum Cha Christmas BBQ.